tabs

Monday, May 9, 2011

Do you know your worth?

Let me start by saying sorry, I know this post will probably be very scatter brained and jumpy. I am just having an off day where it's impossible to articulate what you want to say well.


This poem was inspired by Psalms 139. I recall seeing this in a frame in my house growing up but never paid much attention to it.
This past Tuesday with the Jr High girls I work with we talked about self-worth and how they are worth far more than what the world tells them they are. I don't have children, so I obviously don't have a daughter but I can see what my Jr High girls struggle with and remember how I felt at that age and into high school as well.
You turn on the TV or open up a magazine and see an image of what "the perfect woman" looks like. That our worth is only in our outward appearance and what we own. That you have to have the latest and "greatest" to be a somebody worthy of acknowledgment.
Heck it's not just young girls that are told this us women in our 20's, 30's and so on are and told we should look younger and that we have to stay skinny and fit to be beautiful and worthy of a mans affection/attention (and let me say that if that is all your "man" is looking at you should drop him like a hot potato because you deserve far better!)
Beauty is a physical thing but it's so much more than that. I'm not saying that you shouldn't make yourself look good, you should because it makes you feel good but not because you feel the need to fit to what society tells you.
I think it's important to remember that, to tell yourself and the young girls in your life that they are beautiful, tell them what makes them such an amazing individual.

Now that my ramble (which I don't feel is very well worded or flowing quiet eloquently as I would like...but that's what happens when I write about something I feel strongly about) is over I will move back to the poem. The poem below, I just found to be really up lifting and was so glad that my girls were able to read it, because whether they admit it or not all young girls struggle with the feeling of self worth, even if it's just for a moment. Our director set up a slide show and set the poem to "Who Am I?" by Casting Crowns. And wouldn't you know it was an emotional day and the music got me all misty eyed. Push play as you read the poem if you like.



I made her...she is different. She is unique.
With love I formed her in her mother's womb.
I fashioned her with great joy.
I remember with great pleasure the day I created her.

I love her smile. I love her ways. I love to hear her laugh
And the silly things she says and does.
She brings me great pleasure. This is how I made her.

I made her pretty and not beautiful.
I wanted her to search out her heart and learn that
it would be ME in her that would make her beautiful...
And it would be Me that would draw others to her.

I made her in such a way that she would need me.

I made her a little more lonesome than she would like to be...
Only because I need for her to learn and depend on Me.
I know her heart. I know that if I had not made her like this,
She would go her own chosen way
And forget Me...her Creator.

Because I love her, I have seen her broken heart...
and the tears she cried alone.
I have cried with her and had a broken heart too.

Many times she has stumbled and fallen alone...
Only because she would not hold my hand.
So many lessons she's learned the hard way
because she would not listen to My voice.

So many times I have sat back and sadly
watched her go her merry way alone...
Only to watch her return to my arms,
sad and broken.

And now she is Mine again.
I made her, and I bought her...
Because I love her.

I have to reshape and remold her
To renew her to what I planned for her to be
It has not been easy for her or for Me.

I want her to be conformed to My image.
This high goal I have set for her...

Because I love her.
-Author Unknown


So thank you for getting through another one of my ramblings I appreciated it. And I wanted to remind you that you are a beautiful woman and worth so much to so many people.

6 comments:

  1. That is such an important lesson for young girls! I was thankful someone taught me. It gave me inner strength I needed for some future rough decisions in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog… and LOVE Casting Crowns too:) Happy Tuesday! I found you on Hop a Little Tuesday:)

    Christina
    christinaburchette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following! I feel like I can see your personality in almost every aspect of your blog! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear E

    You have an amazingly heartfelt blog. I have enjoyed reading several of your posts. I felt your loss as you shared about your miscarriages and the loss of your brother. I have gone through similar experiences.

    I am a new follower and I look forward to getting to know you. I hope you'll join me over at Create With Joy.

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I am stopping by from Tuesday's hops. I am a new follower. I am crying now! What a great poem, and this is one of my favorite songs.
    Another great one for us women is Johnny DIaz "More Beautiful You".
    I love your blog. We have a lot in common (I am trying to become a momma too). Looking forward to getting to know you. Great post!
    Blessings...
    Saved By Love Creations

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm a new follower from the TGIF hop! Thanks for participating. If you aren't already following me I would love it if you would!
    Feelinkindacrunchy.blogspot.com

    Heather

    ReplyDelete