tabs

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Genetics Results (re-post of bloodwork from March)

The genetics counselor that I had met with called me this morning and gave me my test results. (4 days later than what I was originally told I would have my result back, but it's whatever) Anyways everything came back normal, no abnormalities or crossed chromosomes. So that's good, I can check that off the list of reasons for miscarriage and move on to the next thing. I wasn't really worried about it all that much though, if I recall correctly the paperwork that the counselor had given me said that 5% or less of women in their 20's have miscarriages/pregnancies issues due to chromosomal abnormalities. My Dr had told me (when I got my ultrasound results back) that she was going to refer me to a perinatologist for preconception and early conception recommendations.
Actually I just got an email back from her and she's going to put the referral in for me later today so sometime this week I should receive a call to set up an appointment. I'm interested to see what they have to say or recommend. I'm not positive of what a Perinatologist is but from the couple things I have read they are basically just a more in depth OB specializing in high risk pregnancies. So that along with the fact that my OB had said that next time I get pregnant she was going to monitor me closely and put me on progesterone supplements immediately (even if it looks to be high enough, which it hasn't at any of mt P4 draws) tells me I may already be classified as "high risk". Now I'm not positive of that and can't really be till I ask or get pregnant again, but it wouldn't surprise me, if they wanted to classify me as such just to keep a closer eye out.
Not sure I would really like that though because I believe it would put a halt to my use of a birth center for labor/birthing. But it's not something I need to worry about just yet!

So anyways, my good news for the day is that I have no genetic defects that could possibly be passed along in a pregnancy causing the miscarriages. A relief but at the same time it just makes me mad that there is still no known reason for why I have lost two children. But they say third times a charm right? I'm confident that working with my Dr's our next pregnancy will be the one, the baby we get to bring home.

Re-posting my blood work results here in this blog.

Test Results
FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)
My Results: 6.1 mIU/mL
Standard Range in women who are menstruating: 4.7 - 21.5 mIU/ml

A follicle-stimulating hormone test measures the amount of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) in a blood sample. FSH is produced by the pituitary gland.
* In women, FSH helps control the menstrual cycle and the production of eggs by the ovaries. The amount of FSH varies throughout a woman's menstrual cycle and is highest just before she releases an egg (ovulates).
The amounts of FSH and other hormones (luteinizing hormone, estrogen, and progesterone) are measured in both a man and a woman to determine why the couple cannot become pregnant (infertility). The FSH level can help determine whether male or female sex organs (testicles or ovaries) are functioning properly.


Progesterone
My Results: 0.44 ng/mL
Standard Results: Unable to find
This test doesn't count for much since it was done on CD3 and to know progesterone levels it needs to be done at 7DPO.


TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone)
My Results: 0.69 uIU/mL
Standard Range: 0.35 - 4.00 uIU/mL

PROTEIN-C
My Results: 129 %
Standard Results: 95 - 172%

PROTEIN-S
My Results: 69 %
Standard Range: 50 - 118 %

ANTITHROMBIN III
My Results: 104 %
Standard Range: 80 - 120

Basically all my test results have come back normal so there is no reason for me not to be ovulating. Looks like I will be meeting with the genetic councilor soon.

6 comments:

  1. Glad the results came back normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy for you about the results, and have a feeling that your banner is soon to say barefoot, happily pregnant in the kitchen! have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first time here--thanks for coming by my blog! I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties getting pregnant, but it sounds like today is a big step in the right direction! I had to go to a genetic counselor, too, and it can be really scary. Cheers to good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you sticky baby vibes! I finally got to have a baby with my third pregnancy... here's hoping that works for you, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you lots of luck on your journey to becoming a Mommy! You are clearly a very strong Mama Bear already with a great husband to support and love you. I am your newest follower from the Sunday Hop. You can visit me at www.clusterlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete